Blog: The Revolutionary Retina Risk app
The global diabetes epidemic has tripled since 2000, to some 430 million persons worldwide and is expected to exceed 600 million by 2030. Studies have shown that two-thirds of persons living with diabetes develop diabetic retinopathy and one-third develop sight-threatening eye disease over twenty years. These patients are at high risk of vision impairment or even blindness if not diagnosed and treated in a timely manner. In fact, sight-threatening diabetic retinopathy is one of the most common causes of blindness in the working age population world-wide.
Early detection and systematic eye screening along with other preventive measures are known to dramatically reduce the likelihood of diabetic blindness. The Retina Risk App is a unique early-detection risk calculator that empowers persons living with diabetes to assess and monitor in real-time their individualized risk of developing sight-threatening diabetic retinopathy.
The Retina Risk App was designed by an Iceland-based company founded by academics and health-care providers with over 30 years’ experience in screening for persons with diabetic retinopathy and treating diabetes. The algorithm at the core of the Retina Risk App is based on extensive international research on risk factors known to affect the progression of diabetic retinopathy, such as duration of diabetes, gender, blood pressure and blood glucose (HbA1c) levels. Clinical validation of Retina Risk in 20,000 persons with diabetes is robust and the results have been published in several respected medical journals.
This application is an efficient and effective education tool that provides an easy-to-visualize risk profile that demonstrates how improvement of modifiable risk factors (e.g., blood glucose, HbA1c, blood pressure) could significantly lower the risk of potentially blinding diabetic eye disease and expensive interventions. Based on each risk calculation, the user can see which factors contribute the most to the individuals´ risk profile and how it can be improved. The Retina Risk App empowers persons living with diabetes to:
- be more involved in their health care, promotes awareness of risks associated with diabetes, encourages enhanced self-care and provides motivation to change lifestyle where needed.
- assess in real-time their individualized risk for sight-threatening diabetic retinopathy based on their risk profile.
- track the progression of the disease over time.
- access detailed guidelines and useful information on diabetes, diabetic retinopathy, improved self-care and the importance of regular eye screening.
- allow persons with diabetes to become better informed about diabetes and eye care, which leads to more meaningful and timely consultation between doctors and patients.
The Retina Risk App is free of charge and the goal is to get it in the hands of as many persons with diabetes as possible around the world. The Retina Risk App can be downloaded using the following links:
Additional information can be found on the website – www.retinarisk.com